My husband and I have just begun our journey as a married
couple but we dated for two years prior to tying the knot. In the combined time
that we have been together, I have caught a glimpse of what might lie ahead for
us in terms of challenges.
The thing that makes our relationship the most exciting, is
also the thing that sometimes makes it most difficult. Aside from my partner
being a man and me being a woman, (in my opinion that’s enough for a problem in
itself) we each come from very different backgrounds. My husband is a native Mexican
and I’d like to think of myself as an all-American girl. We are nothing alike,
and yet somehow manage to share a life together. I think with us, the saying “opposites
attract,” couldn’t be more true. There
really was no logical reason for us getting together, but somehow, like two
magnets with contrasting charges, we were pulled together and we have been
stuck that way ever since.
But coming from two different cultures makes for a mixture
of ideas and values. A lot of the time this mixing of cultures can be something
of great comicalness but sometimes it can also be the source for some minor
frustration.
A few weeks ago, my husband was sick with a sore throat. I
woke up early to go get him some cough syrup, throat lozenges, and to make him
some tea. To me this seemed like an obvious choice of remedies for his raw
throat that he was complaining about so much. He took one dose of the medicine
and went back to sleep. I went to work and called to check on him later and
remind him to take another dose of medicine, for you can only take it once every
four hours. When I reminded him that it was time to take it again however, he
refused. He said it hadn’t worked and therefore he was going to send his mom to
the Mexican store buy something stronger and have her give him some sort of
massage that makes sore throats go away.
This was absurd to me. First of all, I was a little annoyed
that he didn’t trust my knowledge of western medicine. I mean, this is what I
had been told by the doctor my whole life to do in such a case- and it had always
worked, that is if I had given it time to work. Second of all, a massage for a
sore throat? To me it didn’t make any sense at all. When I asked him about it,
he said that when he lived in Mexico, people would always come to his house and
pay his mom to give them this special massage when they were sick. She would
rub their throat and insides of their elbows and wrists and that it made them recover
quicker. My first thought upon hearing this, was to wonder how he would know
that it made them get better faster-I mean, where was the control group in
this?
Anyways, as frustrated as I was that he would go to his
mother to take care of him, rather than his wife, I am a busy girl and so I let
him do what he wanted. I figured, let him be sick and maybe he will figure it
out for himself. In two days his sore throat was gone, and he swore he had been
cured by the massage. He even suggested I watch next time so that I can know
how to do it in the future.
Personally, I believe that his sore throat would have been
gone within the three days no matter what. I think that the special massage did
nothing in reality but I since he believed in it so strongly and he was better,
I didn’t argue with him.
This is just a silly example of how our cultural differences
make an appearance in our daily lives. Having respect for each other is a
necessity in any marriage, but having respect for each other’s cultures is also
a necessity in ours. Sometimes we have to agree to disagree with things that come
up or else we may very likely argue about things that are simply not worth the
fight. Sometimes however, there are times that we cannot stick to our ways and
when we must meet in the middle and compromise. Those are the times that are
not as comical, but more serious. It might not be easy to abandon half of what
we each know so that we can reach an agreement, but it is the only way to get
through a problem sometimes. We have grown the most in our relationship during
those hard times and they continue to shape us as we continue our journey.
I decided that I will learn how to give this special massage.
Although I think that him getting better because of it was all in his head, I
would prefer to be the one to cure him rather than someone else. I want to
embrace his culture to my best ability and him to do the same with mine. Who
knows, maybe if I open my mind enough, I’ll be a believer one day too.
My husband Carlos and I on our way to a concert : )

I think your blog post was really good! It had all these details about what your life is like now that you're married and the differences between your cultures. I think that it might be hard adapting to your spouses' beliefs but eventually you guys will get used to each other.
ReplyDeleteHey, I know this comment doesn't really belong here, but Patrick and I looked at that Play the News game for class and it doesn't really work out the way we hoped. We decided to go with the Unmanned game after all, so play that instead! Thanks, see you on Wednesday.
ReplyDelete