Friday, November 2, 2012

A Package Deal


When I got married, my husband came as a package deal, a two for the price of one sort of arrangement. When I married Carlos I not only became somebody’s wife but I also became a step mother. That’s right; I’m 23 years old, married, and a step mom. It’s hard for me to believe I have racked up so many titles in this last year, but I am thoroughly enjoying each of them and trying my hardest to do well at them all.

            My step son’s name is Brandon and he will be five tomorrow, on Halloween. He’s a super cute, super well-behaved kid, and although I may have a biased opinion, I really believe it’s the truth. Everywhere we take him we get compliments on how good he is and people are always telling us how cute he is and that he looks just like Carlos. He really is his mini.

            We only get Brandon every other weekend, Friday through Sunday, and the rest of the time he lives with him mom in Antioch, about an hour away. Since our time is so limited with him, we try to make the two weekends out of the month as fun and memorable as possible. My parents were divorced when I was very young and I was on the same visitation schedule as Brandon is. My dad always did fun things with my sister and I on his weekends and I remember them very clearly. I want the same thing for Brandon and so I am always trying to think of things we can do with him and places we can go together.

            This last weekend we decided to go to the Exploratorium in San Francisco. Sometimes we take Brandon with us to the dog park here in Richmond, on the bay, and he always points to the city and says, “ I wanna go to Safancisco!” It’s so funny how he says it. We always tell him next time he comes that we will take him and so we decided to finally keep our word and go. For those of you who don’t know what the Exploratorium is, it’s like a huge hands-on, interactive museum for all ages. It a lot of fun for everyone and I was very excited to take Carlos and Brandon there for the first time.

            We came through Marin and took the Golden Gate Bridge to the city. I have NEVER seen Brandon so excited. It was hilarious.

 The rest of our day was a lot of fun, we went to dinner in the city and then came home and relaxed for the rest of the night. Sunday morning we woke up and got ready to go to the pumpkin patch before heading back to Antioch to take Brandon back to his mom.

This is my favorite picture from the weekend. My two favorite boys : )    
 
                                                               Our little family photo
                                                     Brandon having a blast on the jumpy

        We have a lot of fun with Brandon when he is with us and I hope that one day he remembers the good times we have had together. I want to be the best step-mom possible, and to me that means not trying to replace his real mom, not getting in the way of him having a relationship with his dad, and just being someone he knows cares about him. I know that if we had him full time, I would be faced with more challenges as a step-mom and that its a pretty easy job to have only two weekends per month. I'm thoroughly enjoying my part-time job however, and if things were to change for some reason and we were to have him full-time; I would totally be up for the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment